BBQ Chick Stuffed Sweet Potatoes
Updated: Aug 6, 2019
- 4 Large Skinless Chicken Breasts
- 2/3 c. BBQ Sauce (I used Bulls-eye Guinness BBQ sauce)
- 1 Tbsp Brown Sugar
- 1/2 tsp each of: chili powder, onion powder, salt & pepper
- 4 Small Sweet Potatoes
- 1 Red Onion
- Apple Cider Vinegar
- Table Sugar
- Optional: cilantro
1. In Crockpot lightly oil bottom to prevent burning. Combine the chicken breasts , BBQ sauce, brown sugar, chilli powder, onion powder, salt and pepper. Add 1/2 cup of water and mix all ingredients in the crock pot. Cook on low for 5-6 hours. Shred chicken and mix back with sauce.
2. For the sweet potatoes preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Wash/clean the skin of the sweet potatoes. Poke with around 3-4 holes on each side of each sweet potato. Lightly oil the skin of the sweet potato. Cook for around 60 minutes or until sweet potato is easy to cut down the middle.
3. For the pickled onions you can make these in advanced or at least one hour. So try to make them while the oven is heating up as well if you plan to eat when the sweet potatoes are done. I used two small mason jars to make these pickled onions: Slice the red onions thinly and add to mason jar(s). Fill each mason jar 1/2 full with Apple Cider Vinegar. Add about 1.5 tsp Table Sugar and 1 tsp salt to each jar. Fill jar up to about 3/4 with water. Shake well. These should last in the fridge for a few days if you are making this dish for meal prep!
4. Assemble: add chicken to middle of stuffed sweet potato and top with pickled onion and cilantro. Another cool option would be a cilantro lime sour cream!
Although not a perfectly balanced meal, simply add a side salad or a bag of veggies and you will be so excited to pack these suckers for lunch.