Bison Meatball Madness
I actually impressed myself with how good this was.
-1-2 lbs Extra lean ground Bison (or Beef)
-1 Egg, lightly wisked
- 2-3 Tbsp Parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 Tbsp Lighthouse Italian Seasoning
- 1/4 cup bread crumbs (may need more or less)
-Salt & pepper
-2 Large bulk carrots, diced
-1/2 Red onion, diced
-2 Large celery sticks, diced
-1 Tbsp garlic, minced
-1/2 cup Red wine
-1 medium can fire roasted tomatoes
-1 small can tomato puree
-4 Bay leaves
-1/2 Tbsp. Lighthouse Italian Seasoning
-1/2 Tbsp sugar
-1/2 tsp. vinegar
-Salt & pepper to taste
*Essentially the marinara taught by the one and only Chef Nora Rongve
-3-4 Small diameter Zucchini's , spiralized to form noodles
1. Heat a large sauce pan over medium heat. Drizzle pan with olive oil and cook Mirepoix mixture (carrots, onion, celery), until translucent. Usually around 5-10 minutes. Add garlic and cook for a few minutes longer.
2. Add wine and reduce down until alcohol is cooked off ~3-5 minutes.
3. Add tomatoes (with liquid), tomato puree, bay leaves, seasoning, salt and pepper and cook for ~10-15 minutes.
4. In a large bowl, combine all ingredients for the meatballs. heat a large frying pan over medium heat. Assemble similar size balls and add to the hot pan. Do not add oils as the fat in the meatballs will be more than enough. Cook until golden brown and internal temperature reads 165 degrees F. Transfer to a serving bowl.
5. With the pan still hot add the spiralized zucchini noodles to the pan and let cook for just under one minute. Do not overcook these!
6. Remove bay leaves and add sugar & vinegar to the marinara sauce. Add salt and pepper as needed in tasting.
7. Transfer marinara sauce to blender and slowly pulse and then blend until smooth consistency.
8. Plate: zucchini noodles, meatball, sauce and garnish with Parmesan and parsley!