Dad's Spaghetti Bake
Makes 4 Servings
- 1 Spaghetti Squash
- 1 Pkg (450 g) Extra Lean Ground Turkey or Extra Lean Ground Beef
- 796 ml Large Can Diced Tomatoes
- 156 ml Tomato Paste
- ½ c. Carrots, diced
- ½ c. Celery, diced
- ½ c. Shallots, diced
- 1.5 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 2 Tbsp Minced Garlic
- ½ c. Chicken Bone Broth
- 1 Tbsp Balsamic Vinegar
- 1 Tbsp Maple Syrup
- 1.5 Tbsp Oregano
- 1.5 Tbsp Basil
- ¼ c. Parmesan Cheese
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
2. Cut the spaghetti squash in half and remove seeds. Lightly sprinkle inside the squash with olive oil, with some salt and pepper. Place open face down on a lined baking sheet. Poke holes over the rounded top with a fork. Set in the centre of the oven and bake for 40 minutes while preparing the other parts of the dish.
3. In a large frying pan over medium heat, start frying the carrots, celery, and shallots with about 1 Tbsp of olive oil.
4. Once the vegetables are soft, add the garlic, bone broth, tomatoes, tomato paste and bring to a simmer.
5. While the sauce is simmering, fry the Turkey or Beef in a separate frying pan, over medium heat.
6. Add the balsamic vinegar, maple syrup, an extra tablespoon of olive oil and seasoning to the tomato sauce and continue to simmer until the meat is mostly cooked through.
7. Don't skip this test as it really brings out the flavours: In a blender add half the tomato sauce mixture and blend on low until smooth. Add to the meat. Add the remaining sauce and blend. Add it as needed to the meat.
8. When the spaghetti squash has reached 40 minutes or until it is ready, flip it open side up and fill with the sauce. Top with Parmesan cheese. Set the oven to Broil 500 degrees F, and cook for another 5-6 minutes until cheese is bubbling and lightly browning.
9. Sprinkle with some fresh parsley to finish.
Nutrition Information for 1 Serving (1 of 4):
Protein: 31 g
Carbs: 36 g
Fibre: 8 g
Fats: 21 g